If you are a small business owner and you don’t have a Facebook Page for your business, you could be missing out on a huge opportunity to promote your product or services to potential customers and to build brand awareness.
It’s fairly quick and easy to create a Facebook Page, and it’s free too. What takes most time is preparing the content for your Page.
Before you start
- You need to have a personal Facebook account before you can create a business Page.
- Have a Page picture ready. It could be your logo, a professionally taken photo of you or an image that’s relevant to the services you provide.
- Do you have a cover image? Choose something relevant to your business: your tag line, your logo (if not using it for the profile picture), a product image or an image that reflects the services you provide.
TIP: Canva is a great website with free templates to create a Facebook cover image.
- Try to use the same profile image and cover image across all of your business’ social media accounts for brand consistency.
- Prepare the content for the About page. Write a short description of your business, a mission statement, company overview and product description.
- Write a longer piece for the Story section on the About page. This could be a description of services offered or details about what visitors to your Page can expect.
- Have all of your business information handy: website, email address, phone number, address, mission statement, list of awards.
To create a Facebook Page
- From your personal Facebook page, click on the downward arrow next to the Quick Help question mark. Select Create Page. Alternatively go to facebook.com/pages/create.
- Select one of the six specific categories that appear. For a small business, choose either Local business or place OR Brand or product.
- Choose the category most relevant to your business from the dropdown menu that appears and complete the required information. Then click Get Started.
- A new Page for your business will appear. Click on Add a Picture to add your Page image. Click on Add a Cover to add your cover image.
- Scroll down to add a short description of your page and create a username for your page.
- Click on About in the menu on the left-hand side. Then add in more details about your business.
- Once you’re happy with the content, click on Home and then choose which friends from your personal Facebook account to invite to like your business Page.
Still unsure what to do? This video might help.
Once you’re done, you’ll need to come up with creative ways to promote your business on your Page. A quick Google search will provide plenty of ideas.
To make the most out of having a Facebook Page, click on Insights in the top menu bar to find out how people are responding to your Page and posts. There, you’ll see which posts are getting the most likes, shares and comments, the time of day people are looking at your Page, where your audience is based, their age and gender, and a whole host of other information about your audience.
Based on this information, you can alter your Page, create more relevant content to improve engagement and grow your audience. For more information, visit Facebook Insights.