Positivity it’s a choice. We might not be able to control external factors to our being, what we know but don’t practice is that we can control our mind, our thoughts and our feelings. These are all ours and we are the masters, we get to lead the way and instruct.
Sounds preachy and like an ad for something fabulous? Yes, because most of us don’t believe how easy this can be unless we try it.
Week one – Habits
Do this every day for the next four weeks.
- Each morning spare one minute to look in the mirror and smile to yourself.
- Before lunch decide what are you grateful for in that moment. For the rest of the day think about that and how it makes you feel.
- Late afternoon spare five minutes to sit still and listen to relaxing music.
- Before bed go back to the mirror and tell the person staring back that you love them. Self-love: if not you then who?
Week two – Words
Do this every day for the next three weeks.
- Compliment someone creatively.
“You did great on that presentation!”
“I love your outfit today!”
“That was a great email you wrote; your writing skills are amazing!”
“I love your calm and positive manner!”
- If negative thoughts come write them down and write what feelings and emotions they bring. Words speak for themselves when written on a page.
- If a situation or a person is bringing you negativity try to think of the “Glass half” full, find the positive in everything. Use kind and positive words to kill the negativity in that moment and observe the changes.
Week three – Movement
Do this two times a week for the next two weeks.
- Organise time to dance by yourself, put your favourite tunes on and dance. The louder the better even if it’s only your headphones. Dancing increases positive and spiritual energy. It allows your body to feel alive, with unpredicted and unplanned moves you will feel pleasure. Give yourself love and let the music move you, stop only when your face is covered in sweat and smiles.
- Walk. Every opportunity you get plus two half hour walks a week. Walking, like any other exercise, releases Dopamine in your brain which is necessary for feelings of pleasure and happiness. The happier you feel more positive thoughts will come to you and the snowball effect goes on to fill your mind with positivity. Walking in nature and around beautiful or peaceful scenery I highly recommend.
Week four – People
Do this as much as you can.
- Surround yourself with positive people and spend quality time with them. People are huge part of our existence and their positive energy will rub on you. Take those offers on brunch and share your time with love and those who matter the most in your life. Be the positive person others need, your people or strangers, it will bring you feelings of satisfaction and happiness when you have a positive impact on someone’s day. It’s also about those you meet for ten seconds when you get your coffee and you offer them a smile that will pass on positive energy.
When negative thoughts come to your mind stop yourself, acknowledge them and ask yourself what is the opposite of the same, what is the positive?
Take responsibility for your thoughts as much as your actions. Actions can be called out by others, but thoughts are only yours. Call yourself out when letting negativity enter your mind and be selective of your thoughts, look after your positive mindset.
Spreading positivity to become an epidemic.