Feel like Tumblr is too complicated? Never fear, once you get started, it’s easy blogging.
Starting Your Account
First, go to Tumblr.com and click on ‘Sign up’ button on the top right hand corner. Click on ‘Get Started’ and enter in your details. Now, choose your username. Don’t worry, you can change your username easily later on.
Tumblr will then ask you what your interests are. Select at least five main interests so Tumblr is able to build a dashboard, suggesting blogs for you to follow. Don’t forget to verify your Tumblr account from your email!
Maneuvering the dashboard
These are the types of posts that you can make with Tumblr. This bar should appear at the top of your dashboard.
At the top of the page there is a search bar. To the right are little icons that will get you around the site. (In order)
- Home: Will bring you back to the top of your dashboard.
- Explore: Will take you to what’s trending. Tumblr will recommend things that it thinks you’ll be interested in.
- Inbox: People can send you mail or direct messages on Tumblr. You can send anyone a direct message on Tumblr whether they follow you or not. They can do also do so anonymously (or ‘anon’). Works like the twitter messaging system.
- Messaging: You can chat with people you follow and follow you (your ‘mutuals’.) Works like Facebook messenger.
- Activity: This is where you can check out the analytics of your blog.
- Account: You will see a dropdown box of your likes, who you follow, settings and help. Then for your blog (or blogs) posts, followers, activity and edit appearance.
- Make a post: Click here to make a post.
Personalising your blog
Click the account icon and select ‘edit appearance’ on the dropdown box and then select ‘edit appearance’ again on the left hand corner.
From there you will need to choose an icon. Click on the the edit button over your icon (which for now looks like a triangle) to choose a photo from your computer.
Next you can choose a background for your blog, by clicking the edit button under Save.
Then you can choose a name for your blog, which can the same or different from your username. Underneath you can also add a description about yourself and your blog. When you click to write, a box will appear above where you can choose from different font and colour options.
Once you’re happy with your changes, hit save.
Liking, making and reblogging posts
In the right hand corner of a Tumblr post on your dashboard, there are three buttons. The paper plane is to message a post to someone, the two arrows is to reblog a post (like retweeting) and the heart is to like a post.
Things to note:
- There is an option when reblogging to add onto a post someone else has made. This is different to just commenting on a tweet, as it becomes part of the post which everyone can see on their dashboard. Therefore, don’t add any ‘LOL’s or ‘hahaha’ onto your reblog comments, only comment on reblogs if you have something to contribute to them.
- If you like someone else’s content, don’t repost it, just reblog it!
Now you are ready to go Tumblr!